Hair Fall is one of the most common and annoying problems for both men and women across the world.
As per a recent study, approx 60% people in India with >30 years age, suffer from Hair loss. What’s more worrisome is that this trend is increasing.
If you or anyone dear to you is facing this problem, then this article is for you.
Hair fall directly impacts the self confidence and causes anxiety, depression and at time, psychological distress.
On an average, our hair grows around 0.5 inches per month & 6 inches per year. How fast it grows depends on many factors like age, health, genetics and diet.
At the same time, Its normal to lose between 50 to 100 hairs a day. With about 100,000+ hairs on our head, this 0.1% small loss is just not noticeable.
The problem begins, when we start losing them at a far higher speed.
I am sure that like many others, you must have also used many shampoos for hair fall, tried special hair fall oil, attempted few hair loss remedies at home and even consulted your family doctor… but looks like, nothing is working.
If you are contemplating for a full-fledged Hair fall treatment, pl hold on…
There are many reasons for hair loss. An impacted person may have one or many of these issues.
Knowing what is the cause(s) of our hair fall is the starting point to control it, as this will impact our line of treatment for hair fall. These are the Top reasons for Hair fall…
Hair Fall Reasons:-
- Hereditary:- Many of us have a genetic issue, where either of our parents or anybody else in our family has a history of hair loss, hair thinning or partial baldness. While, exceptions are there, most of such people have a high tendency of losing hair in due course of time.
- Medication:– There are certain critical diseases, which impact our hair growth and may even cause them to fall. Not only diseases but hair loss is also impacted by certain medicines or lines of treatment of these diseases. E.g. A very high % of people lose hair during chemotherapy.
- Thyroid disease:– Thyroid also causes thinning of hair. Some people notice that while bushing, their hair comes out in clumps. This can stop, once the thyroid problem is resolved.
- Hormonal Imbalance:- A common cause of this imbalance is “polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)”. It leads to cysts on a woman’s ovaries, along with other signs and symptoms, which can include hair loss. Stopping some types of birth control pills can also cause a temporary hormonal imbalance. Women who develop a hormonal imbalance can develop thinning hair (or hair loss) on their scalp.
- Age:- Our hair is stuck in hair follicles. With age, hair follicles stop growing hair and start losing their grip & as a result, hair starts falling. This is one of the biggest reasons for hair fall in older age.
- Pregnancy, Child Birth:– This is one of the most common reasons for hair fall in women. Almost 85% of females face this during & after their pregnancy. One of the biggest reasons for such a phenomenon is the lack of protein & other nutrients in the body. However, with proper care, this can be controlled.
- Stress:– Till a few decades back, this was not an important reason, but with the rise in consumerism, competition and growing imbalances in economic conditions, more and more people are facing stress in their life. Such stress directly impacts the growth of hair. However, this can be controlled, if a person takes due care to reduce stress from his/her life.
- Dandruff / Skin Infection on Scalp:- A scalp infection can lead to scaly and sometimes inflamed areas on your scalp, which impact hair growth. The continuous reoccurrence of dandruff also impacts hair fall.
- Haircare & hairstyle:- If one excessively colour or perm his/her hair, it could be damaging for them. Over time, this damage can lead to hair loss. This can be controlled by changing our habits e.g. avoid constant heating and drying, brushing wet hair etc. If you often wear your hair tightly pulled back, the continual pulling can also lead to permanent hair loss.
- Dietary deficiencies:- As per doctors & nutritionists, this is one of the most common and biggest reasons for hair fall. Almost 90% of people don’t get adequate amount of protein/nutrition from their daily diet and this impacts them significantly. Any such deficiency can be controlled by tweaking the variety & quantity of our daily food intake, but it’s a time taking process.
- Water Quality:– This is one of the biggest & fastest growing reasons in Metro cities. The excessive amount of calcium & magnesium in water leads to dandruff, dryness & hair loss. Hard water destroys the hair follicles making them dry, frizzy, and brittle leading to hair breakage and hair loss. This can be controlled by putting water softener in our pipelines or chemical treatment.
By now, we are almost clear on the major reasons for hair fall and can also identify, which one is affecting us the most.
Hopefully, you too, are able to identify the reason(s) for your hair loss.
If yes, then read on……..
Nest step is to determine, how can we prevent further hair loss and regain them?
Hair loss prevention & control can be categorised into 3 parts.
If your reason for Hair fall lies between serial no. 1-5, then the only long term solution for you is
1. Hair Loss Treatment:-
Hair Loss (Alopecia) treatment requires a long term medication or artificial hair transplant. This must be done under the close supervision of a certified medical practitioner, who must be an expert in this line.
Any further discussion on this is out of the scope of this article.
(Pro Tip:- Many professional-looking chains are operating in the market, who claims to be an Expert in Trichology (Science of Hair). Pl exercise due caution before believing them on face value. Get as many reference checks as possible before committing yourself to this long drawn & costly treatment)
However, if reason for your Hair fall lies between serial no. 6-11, then you have got a piece of good news.
Below 2 solutions will surely prevent further hair loss, however, they may take time and requires a huge amount of patience.
2. Hair Growth Stimulating Foods:-
Prevention is always better than cure.
What food to eat to reduce Hair Loss? this section will try to answer this common question…
A small tweak in our eating pattern can reduce further hair fall.
However, this is easier said than done!
e.g. I am very choosy in What I eat & What I don’t!
Can you identify with yourself or know anyone in your family, who behaves like me?
Therefore, on the basis of my personal experience, all I can say is that changing our long drawn eating habits is not easy and may take time. In high probability, people are not able to stick to this for long.
Close your eyes & imagine your looks after 5-10 years (with abysmally fewer hair), and then decide, if these efforts (of changing eating pattern) is worth it or not!
If the answer is yes, then let’s move on…
We all know that our hair is made out of Proteins. Hence, a protein-rich, nutritious diet will surely help.
Hair growth is directly linked to Vitamin B7 (Biotin), Vitamin A, C, E, and few key minerals like Zinc, Selenium, Calcium & Iron etc. Any food, which is rich in these vitamins & minerals, must be a prominent part of your daily diet.
Outlined below are some of the key “Hair Growth Stipulating” natural food items, which must be included in our diet.
Egg:- We all know that Egg is one of the biggest sources of Protein. Egg yolks are extremely beneficial in hair growth. This is also a major of Vitamin A, B3 & B7, which are an essential building block for hair growth. Include it in B/F, lunch or dinner.
Berries:- Almost all kinds of berries are very high in Vitamin C. Our body uses vitamin C to produce “collagen”, a protein that helps strengthen hair to prevent it from becoming brittle and breaking. If 3-4 Strawberries are added in your daily diet, then most of the requirements of Vitamin C are completed.
Broccoli & Spinach:- Both are loaded with beneficial nutrients like folate, iron, and vitamins A & C. All these essential nutrients promote hair growth, Vitamin A helps the skin glands produce “sebum”. This oily substance helps moisturize the scalp to keep our hair healthy.
Fatty Fish:- For non-vegetarians, fishes like Salmon, Herring and Mackerel are an excellent sources of Vitamin B7, B3 & omega-3 fatty acids. These fats cannot be produced by the body, but are essential building blocks of our cells.Omega-3 fatty acids are directly linked to hair growth. Mostly, all fishes are a rich source of Biotin.
Sweet Potatoes:- This is one of the biggest sources of Beta-Carotene & Biotin. Our body converts Beta-Carotene compound into vitamin A, which is linked to good health of hair.
Avocados:- This is an excellent source of vitamin E & B3, which promotes hair growth. One medium avocado (about 200 grams) provides 21% of our daily vitamin E needs. What’s more, avocados are also a great source of essential fatty acids.
Nuts:- Almonds are highly recommended for hair growth. Approx 30 grams of almonds provide an impressive 35-40% of our daily vitamin E needs. They also have vitamin B, zinc, and essential fatty acids.
Seeds:- Flax seeds, Chia seeds and Sunflower seeds are excellent sources of Vitamin E needs. In fact, approx 30 grams of sunflower seeds provides nearly 50% of our daily vitamin E needs. Both Flax seeds and Chia seeds are also called Super Foods. More on such Super Foods will be discussed later.
Beans:- Beans are a great plant-based source of protein, which is essential to hair growth.
What we eat has a huge effect on the health of our hair.
Any deficiency of Vitamins A, B7, C, and E, zinc, iron, protein, and essential fatty acids may slow down hair growth or even cause hair loss.
A proper dosage of these critical and essential items is a must to have healthy hair.
If you think that these Hair Growth Stimulating Foods are already part of your daily diet OR you like all of them and including them will not be a problem, then look no further….
You will start noticing an improvement in hair fall in the next 6-9 months & the next part of this article is not for you…
However, if you think that mending your eating pattern or sticking to this diet will not be easy for you or you don’t want to wait for 6-9 months then read on….
3. Multivitamin & Mineral supplements:-
Out of all essential vitamins and minerals, Vitamin B7 (Biotin) is one of the most important ingredients for the production of a hair protein “Keratin”. No wonder, Biotin is also called Vitamin H & biotin supplements are often marketed as hair growth supplements.
A biotin deficiency in the body directly leads to Hair loss however an optimum quantity also helps in the re-growth of hair
Fortunately, correcting a deficiency in any of these nutrients may help in preventing hair loss and promote the rate of hair re-growth.
Covering the deficiencies of these essential vitamins and minerals thru natural food sources is the best and harmless method.
If you are still reading this article, then it means you willing to take some external medicinal help to cover up these deficiencies on an urgent basis.
Multivitamin supplement tablets play a key role in fulfilling this gap.
Pick up your phone, Google this and you will find tons of options.
With so many alternatives in the market, can we just pick up any supplement?
NO…. it’s not easy to choose the right one.
To pick up a right multivitamin, you need to ensure that
1. It has the Right ingredients (both count as well as type)
2. All ingredients are in the right quantity (50-150% of RDA)
3. The supplement has passed quality-control tests
4. It Is available at a reasonable cost
Specifically for the purpose of preventing hair fall, we, at KnowUrVitamin.com have shortlisted the 3 best multivitamin tablets. (Most likely, you might have not heard about 3rd option as yet).
1. “Biotin” by Oziva:- By now, you must have understood the importance of Biotin (Vitamin B7) or Vitamin Hair in preventing Hair fall and rekindle hair growth.
It’s USP is that it has 10 Mg of Biotin against RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance by Govt of India) of 30 micro grams i.e. a whopping 3333% against RDA limits.
You may wonder if such a high quantity of biotin is safe for us or not.
Well, Biotin (Vitamin B7) is a Water-Soluble vitamin meaning body will absorb the required quantity in itself and flush out the excess quantity thru urine, hence it is considered SAFE.
Such a high dosage of Biotin will ensure that body will never be short of Vitamin Hair.
This supplement also has 3 other ingredients namely Vitamin C (488% of RDA), Silica & Potassium, (negligible quantity -1% of RDA) for improving Hair, skin, nails & bones.
2. “Follihair” from Abbott healthcare:- This is an old classic in this segment. Like its competitors, Follihair also has 10 mg (3333% of RDA) of Biotin, which is extremely useful in reducing hair fall.
Unlike others, Follihair’s USP is its vast content base which is a huge amalgamation of 33 different ingredients spanning across Amino acids (19), Vitamins (6), and Minerals (7) & plant extracts (1) categories. Apart from a good mix of Vitamin A, C, E, B & D, the tablet also has Copper, Zinc, Selenium, and Iron. Barring a few, all these ingredients are available in adequate quantity (against their RDA)
3. “Biotin” by Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi:- Most likely, you are not aware of this new medicine on the block.
A few years back, the Health deptt of Govt of India launched a new initiative, under which, they launched many critical and important medicine at highly affordable rates (50-70% discount).
All these medicines are manufactured under govt regulated facility (Bureau of Pharma, A Public Sector Undertaking) and carry high-quality standards.
Unlike other options, Biotin by “Bureau of Pharma” has only 1 ingredient i.e. Biotin.
This also has 10Mg (3333% of RDA) of Biotin in each tablet.
The USP of this tablet is Its cost & this tablet costs us just Rs 3/- per tablet.
This is exclusively available at Govt approved Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra across India.
All the 3 options listed above are extremely effective in preventing & controlling Hair fall. While Follihair covers a large gamut of overall vitamin & mineral requirements of our body & is very costly, Biotin by Bureau of Pharma has only 1 ingredient (Very focussed) but extremely cost effective. Biotin by Oziva falls in between.
Keeping this in mind, one can choose any of them for effective hair fall control.
Before you select and start using any multivitamins, Pl remember that Multivitamins are just a supplement, not a replacement of nutritious diet.
Multivitamin tablets are just a supplement, not a replacement of nutritious diet.
In a net shell, we can say that journey to reduce and stop hair fall starts from understanding its underlying reasons for your body.
As discussed, certain reasons demand a clinical treatment and in all such cases, the impacted person should start that as soon as possible.
However, the good thing is that most of the other reasons don’t demand such treatments and hair fall can be reduced by changing our life style and diet plan. Adding “Hair Growth Stimulating food” items listed above is the best possible way to stop hair fall. However, this is easy to start but difficult to sustain.
Using a multivitamin supplement is a short cut to reduce hair fall. This can be done for a few months (3-6 months are good enough to notice the difference) and then, one should stop using them and continue with the recommended diet.
I hope, this article is useful and will help you in reducing hair fall.
Please let me know your views in the comment section & if you want to know anything else on Hair fall prevention & control.
If you like this, pls feel free to share with your family and friends as well so that even they can be benefitted.
Till then, have a safe, healthy, and wealthy life ahead…. & Above all, Enjoy….